2023 April 14
The Call for Submissions for the City of Toronto’s 2023 Toronto Urban Design Awards is underway.
The Awards, held by the City every second year, recognize achievements in urban design, architecture and landscape architecture. The Call for Submissions closes on Monday, April 24, at noon.
Designers, developers, project owners, community groups, design students and others are invited to enter eligible projects. Submission categories include elements, private buildings in context, public buildings in context, small open spaces, large places or neighbourhood designs, visions and master plans and student projects.
The Toronto Urban Design Awards program seeks broad representation from the design community, including representation from Indigenous, Black and equity-deserving groups and communities. In addition, the program seeks entries that represent design excellence in diverse neighbourhoods, particularly those underrepresented in the space.
The awards recognize those who contribute to improving the quality of urban design and development in Toronto. Design students are also encouraged to enter theoretical or studio projects relating to Toronto.
The primary criteria for assessing the merit of all entries will be:
- Positive contribution to the public realm/quality of place
- Successful integration with surrounding urban fabric
- Demonstration of fulfilling a clearly articulated urban design intent
- Precedent-setting for a project of its type through major innovation and/or design excellence
- Exemplary application of the City’s Urban Design Guideline documents
- Incorporation of barrier-free design or improvement to the accessibility of the built environment and public spaces
- Positive contribution to a sustainable environment, including enhancement of pedestrian, cycling and transit infrastructure and application of the Toronto Green Standard
- Demonstration of sensitive and creative preservation of the heritage values of a building or area and contribution to a sense of place
The submissions will be reviewed for outstanding design by an independent jury of highly respected professionals and academics. This year’s jury is a group of urban visionaries representing local and international design communities.
The 2023 jury members are:
- Matthew Hickey, Partner, Two Row Architects
- Juhee Oh, Manager Sustainability, WSP
- Michael Ormston-Holloway, Partner, The Planning Partnership and Adjunct Faculty, University of Toronto
- Patrick Saavedra, University Architect/Director, York University
- Gail Shillingford, Principal, B+H
A full biography for each juror and more information about the awards, including submission requirements, is available online.
The City will hold an awards ceremony in mid-September to celebrate all entries and announce the winners. Information about the awards ceremony will be posted at the above link in the coming weeks.