2023 April 29
Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie (Scarborough-Rouge Park) will proclaim Monday, May 1 to Sunday, May 7 Youth Week – an annual week to celebrate youth engagement and showcase the abilities and talents of youth from diverse communities across Toronto in the areas of civic engagement, recreation, arts and sports.
Toronto’s youth are a vital part of the city’s social, cultural and economic fabric. Young people help make Toronto the vibrant, world-class city it is today.
Youth Week kicks off today at the New Generation Enhanced Youth Recreation Centre with live performances, workshops and professional development information sessions.
During Youth Week, young people throughout Toronto can participate in free events that focus on visual and performance arts, personal development, and civic engagement mixed in with some fun. Highlights of Youth Week programs include:
- “Chop It Like It’s HOT” is an opportunity for youth of all abilities across Toronto to showcase their cooking and baking skills through a culinary competition.
- STOMP Urban Dance Competition/Showcase returns to Meridian Hall for its 20th edition. Dance teams from across Toronto will compete to claim a winning spot.
- Artists In The 6ix Gala and Marketplace celebrates the artistic creativity of Toronto youth. In partnership with University of Toronto’s Hart House, this space was created for Torontonians to meet, support and purchase the art work of local youth artists.
- ResilienTOgether celebrates youth artistic expression through visual and performing arts and is a partnership between Artscape, ArtWorksTO, MakeRoom Inc., RISE, The Neighbourhood Arts Network, The Remix Project, UrbanArts and VIBE Arts. It includes a visual arts exhibit and live music performances.
- The Drag Masterclass is back, this time with an all-new twist! Participants can join for three days of workshops in makeup and sewing to help spice up their drag.
- Enhanced Youth Spaces will host numerous free events and workshops in the areas of wellness, visual arts, cooking, fashion, dance and sports.