P71-M aid provided to families affected by Mayon unrest

2023 June 19′

Mayon Volcano

______________________________________________________________________

MANILA – The government has so far provided some PHP71.5 million to the families affected by the ongoing unrest of the Mayon Volcano.

In its update Monday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the amount includes cash and other forms of assistance such as water, food, assorted tents, hygiene kits and other items.

The number of affected families also rose to 10,146, from only 9,947 reported as of June 16.

These families are equivalent to 38,961 persons residing in 26 barangays in the Bicol Region.

Of this number, 5,466 families or 18,892 individuals are being served in 28 evacuation centers while the remainder is being helped outside or sheltering with relatives and friends.

It also added that all these numbers are subject to change once confirmations are made. 

80 ‘gunners’ complete disaster response training

As this developed, the Army Artillery Regiment (AAR) concluded its disaster response training (DRT) for 80 of its personnel at Fort Magsaysay, Palayan City, Nueva Ecija on June 16.

Around 80 troopers from various field artillery battalions and separate batteries participated in the DRT to develop essential skills in saving lives and protecting the community.

“The training equipped the students with the necessary knowledge on how to properly and effectively use different equipment in responding to emergencies,” Philippine Army (PA) spokesperson Col. Xerxes Trinidad said in a statement Sunday.

Meanwhile, PA chief Lt. Gen. Romeo S. Brawner Jr. lauded the AAR for the conduct of training that develops and improves the skills of Army troops in times that they extend assistance to the community during calamities and disasters that will occur in the country.

Priam Nepomuceno (PNA)