Philippines announces fresh P5.4-M aid to Yemen

2023 March 2

Foreign Affairs Secretary Enrique Manalo (Philippine Permanent Mission to the UN in Geneva photo)

MANILA – The Philippine government has pledged PHP5.4 million (USD100,000) to support the humanitarian aid operations in Yemen, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced Thursday.

The commitment was made during the High-level Pledging Event for the Humanitarian Crisis in Yemen held at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland on Feb. 27.

“For the past five years, the Philippines has responded to the call of the United Nations and the international community for funding to address the humanitarian crisis in Yemen, over and above our contribution to the Central Emergency Response Fund,“ Foreign Affairs Secretary Enrique Manalo said.

He said Manila’s voluntary contribution demonstrates the country’s advocacy for people-centered intervention in crises.

“Filipinos are one with the people of Yemen, especially those in most need of our help and those in vulnerable situations, including women and children, migrants, older persons, and persons with disabilities,“ he said.

Manalo also deplored the civilian casualties and displacement resulting from years of protracted conflict in the country.

The Philippines has been a consistent donor to the Yemen Humanitarian Fund, a country-based pooled fund managed by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

In the pledging event, the UN sought to raise USD4.3 billion to respond to the crisis mainly due to the deteriorating economy and the collapse of basic services.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres said the six-month truce last year “delivered real dividends for people” but humanitarian needs continue to soar as more than 21 million Yemenis still require assistance and protection.

War-torn Yemen, the UN said, remains among the world’s most severe humanitarian crises.

Joyce Ann Rocamora